This coming Friday 16th September is Culture night around the country and we wanted to take the time to let you know about some of the events happening across the Three Sisters region. As always, there is a fantastic variety of events to choose from so wherever you are there’s something for you culture vultures to enjoy!
Events in Waterford
1. Greyfriars Municipal Gallery hosts a full day and night of events to celebrate Culture.
6.30-7pm: One of Waterford’s best known artists Ben Hennessy will give a fun and informative tour of the current exhibition in Greyfriars Gallery
6-9pm: A Culture Fair will take place in Greyfriars Gallery on Culture Night. This is an opportunity for artists/performers/etc to promote their art practice on the night.
7-8pm: City of Waterford Brass will perform on the steps of Greyfriars Gallery.
8pm – 10pm: Greyfriars Art Gallery will host Ireland’s 2nd ever “Scratch Art” event when four of Waterford’s up-and-coming visual artists will take turns to talk about their work – displayed on easels in the centre of the gallery – before taking questions from the audience (you!) on the night. And of course if any artwork takes your fancy it may be purchased on the spot. This year’s Scratch Art event artists are: Brenda Carroll, Eoin Coffey, Tony Hayes, and Jessica Terry. For further info call 076 110 2983 or email: email@example.com
2. Deise Brass Band – Talented veterans of the brass era and former stalwarts of Dungarvan Brass Band and other ensembles – will bring a taste of classic New Orleans music to Culture Night when they play jazz, blues, and gospel on the Quayside in Dungarvan from 8pm.
Venue: The Quay, Dungarvan, Co Waterford.
3. Stone Stacking and Camp Fire with The Art Hand – A collaborative art workshop using sticks and stones with art Sean Corcoran. Please bring any of the following items: sticks, camera, torch. Come prepared for all weathers!
Venue: Kilmurrin Cove, between Boatstand and Bunmahon, for directions please contact the Art Hand. Tele: 051-292919 or 087-2524657 Email: info@theArtHand.com
Events in Wexford
1. Culture Night @ Wexford Arts Centre – Culture Night: Art Workshop 5-6pm and 6-7pm. Workshops open to all ages Admission free but booking is essential. Calling all children – join us this Culture Night and join the art science fun. In this workshop we will make our very own Thaumatrope optical illusion toy. Come along and find out what it’s all about and how it works.WACT with an Improvisation Workshop 7.30pm you’ll be spinning with excitement..!
2. Sean Nós Dancers of Wexford – This year new for Culture Night Sean Nós Dancers of Wexford will be performing old style Irish dance. See some lovely reels and hornpipes. Plus some rational music.
Venue: Selskar Square, Wexford. Time: 8.30pm – 9.00pm
3. Wexford Male Choir – Wexford Male Voice Choir will be performing pieces from their vast repertoire of music. The programme includes: American Trilogy, Dashenka, Casatchok ,Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Tell My Father, Goin Home, Phil The Fluter, Speed Your Journey, Take Me Home, Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Ave Maria, Deus Salutis, You’ll Never Walk Alone, You Raise Me Up, I dreamed A Dream, Do You Hear The People Sing, At The End Of The Day.
Venue: St. Iberius Church, North Main Street, Wexford. Time: 7.00-7.30 pm
Events in Kilkenny
1. Slow Selfies at KCAT – Whether we hate them or love them, selfies are a modern day phenomena. The selfie as we know it is instant takes no real effort and is easily edited to create a perfect rendering of yourself, the way you would like the world to see you. But what if, to make a selfie, we required quiet space and thoughtfulness, taking time to think, talk with others and really look at ourselves?
KCAT invites you to come and meet Caroline Schofield. She will show you how to make a slow selfie, crafting an easily achievable image using some of the most ancient tools. An image of yourself captured with stitch and time amongst friends new and old.
All are welcome, no skill is required, workshop is free but booking is required firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue: KCAT Art and Study Centre, Mill Lane, Callan, Co. Kilkenny. Time: 6.00pm – 8.00pm Tel: 056 7755115 Web: www.kcat.ie
2. The Butler Gallery after-hours events inspired by Michael Snow’s exhibition, The Viewing of Six New Works.
This exhibition examines the nature of perception and the physical relationship of the artwork to the viewer. Six projectors cast richly coloured monochrome geometries onto white walls. The rectangular shape elongates, rotates, and contorts into different shapes, simulating the varying ways a person might look at a rectangular wall-mounted artwork by digitally mimicking and mirroring the movement of the eyes with a sense of play and experimentation. We will celebrate this exhibition and investigate the art of looking with a programme of free talks, screenings and creative activities for people of all ages.
Venue: Butler Gallery, The Castle, Kilkenny. Time: 6:00 -9:00 pm Tel: 056 – 7761106
3. Author’s Talk Stone House Books – First time author Olive Collins will be joining us at Stone House on Culture Night Friday 16th September 7pmto talk about her recently published historical novel “The Memory of Music”.
Venue: Stone House Books Dalgan House St. Kieran’s Street Kilkenny Ireland. Time: 7:00 – 8:00 pm
We have only scratched the surface on this list, there are so many events coming on throughout the Three Sisters Region on Friday, if you have an event that you would like highlighted please contact us on Facebook or tag us on Twitter and we will share your cultural event for you.
And remember “Culture Night Revolves around YOU!”